Yesterday, I started to install homasote roadbed from California Roadbed. The stuff is very easy to install with a minimum of dust and fuss. My previous experience with homasote roadbed involved cutting strips on a table saw and creating a huge amount of very fine dust. While it is a bit expensive, it is the way to go.
I have decided to glue the roadbed down with PVA glue and with clamps to ensure a flatter surface with a minimum of ripple.
Jim Zwernemann once told me that he experienced a rush seeing the layout progressing. It is exciting.
I need to get back to a few pilot models that I am late on.