This past week I finished the basic lift bridge at the entrance to my layout room. It has been one of those projects that I created more excuses than progress. I overcame the internal inertia and installed the running rail and wiring to power the rail.
A key aspect of the bridge is make sure the rail is cut on a bias so that the rails don’t bind when the bridge is opened. You can see the rough angle that I cut in the rail using a Dremel tool and an abrasive disk. The moving bridge rails are spiked down lightly until the proper spacing has been determined. Moving the bridge up and down will show how much space is needed to keep from the binding the rails.
I will install a tie on the fixed side once I have everything is else done. My son Mark showed me how to build the bridge and set it up. He found several videos on YouTube posted by a fellow in Australia. Mark has built two bridges for his HO and HOn3.
I posted a video of the lift bridge moving. Lift bridge at entrance: http://youtu.be/XxgPC0kuuTc
The feeder wire for the bridge section was installed inside the bridge section. The wire will be covered with a slab of one inch rigid expanded styrene board. I will add an access panel so the connections can be got at once the final bridge and scenery is installed.
Power to the movable bridge is carried using a 12 gauge power cord. I used a terminal strip to connect all of the wiring.