I decided to try to build a new underframe and change the design. After looking at the drawings, I realized that I left off some key details and had not accounted for the installation of the AB brake system. In addition, I wanted to use the Protocraft magnetic coupler. I have posted the below photo showing the coupler pocket and diagonal braces on the frame.
The frame on the right is new version. The old frame suffered some damage as a result of trying to drill the bushing hole deeper. The center channel bent. I tried replacing them but they looked like hell so off to the round file.
I replicated the inside of the Protocraft draft gear using some Evergreen styrene tube and a few blocks of styrene. I am going to grind the shank a bit to allow a little more swing. Scale width centersill do pose a few minor problems with couplers. It is worth the trouble when you see the end result.
Now that we are back on track, the next installment will finish the underframe.
Remember, “Just Do It”