It has been a busy week with lots of activities outside of the home. Oh yes, it is baseball season so watching the Giants is very important especially when they are winning. I was able to push forward on the Wilson build.
The underframe has been a guessing game as to how they were designed and built. The crossbearers are fairly clear in photos so the positioning can be determined by counting boards in the siding. Each board is 3.25″ wide. The body bolster is a bit of a mystery since only the end shows in photos. The rectangular shape leads me to believe that the design more like what you would find on a similar boxcar of the era. I made the bolster with a taper. I used USRA bottom plate dimensions of 14″ wide.
The above photo shows the bottom flanges (.015″ x .125″) and trainline (.033″) installed. You can see the top plates on the bolsters. I haven’t decided on the draft gear since I have heard rumors that Protocraft has a new draft gear in the works. I understand that it is smaller than the current part.
I reinstalled the Protocraft ASF A-3 trucks at this time. They will come off again once I install the brake equipment and draft gear.
I started to install the fascia on the body. I settled on 5″ boards for the top layer on the sides. This allowed me to install the last roof board which is only .080″ wide. Next time, I hope to finish the fascia and corner plates. I will cover the AB brake system as well.