It has been a busy last few days. I was able to get some work done on several hobby projects. The Wilson reefer advanced a bit with work on draft gear, brake equipment and ladders.
The car had ladders built from straight grab irons. I determined that the “rungs” were spaced at 18″ apart and 18″ wide. I made a styrene jig to drill the mounting holes. Vertical lines were drawn and the jig was placed over the line and held in position with a plastic triangle. It doesn’t take very long to do this. Drill all the holes before doing an work on the underframe or ends.
I have shown this approach before. I build up a draft gear out of .030″ x .250″ for top and bottom. The side pieces are .030″ x .188″ It doesn’t take long if you stack the .250″ pieces and drill several pieces at a time.
The AB set is a San Juan kit. They make the very best AB parts around The reservoir is a transversal mount. One end is supported by a “hairpin” style bracket made from .040″ wide brass. The back end is supported with a .125″ I-Beam running parallel to the centersill.
The piping was bent from .019″ brass wire.
The view above shows a few new details that have been added. The lower corners now have reinforcing plates made from .010″ x .188″ strips. I used MacLeod 1″ square nut and bolt casting on the front corner. The top black bolt is a MacLeod 1.5″ square nut.
The running board supports are installed with 22″ spacing. I used Grandt LIne #145 cut down to 18″ width. I installed a grab iron using .0125″ phos bronze wire.
Next time I hope to add more details to the Wilson reefer.