Progress has been slow but steady. This report covers the addition of brake rigging, hand brake and the start of grab iron installation. There are few details added as well.
The San Juan AB brake equipment was connected with .019″ brass wire. I used a Chooch brake rigging set (#211) to obtain the levers and San Juan brake clevis to add the rigging.
The Wilson car series apparently used a few different types of handbrakes. I choose to install a Universal type salvaged off of a Lionel PS-1 boxcar. The brake step came from the Chooch brake set as did the fulcrum.
The corner plates had poling pockets formed from .125″ plastic tubing. The striker is fairly involved design. I started with a .020″ x .188″ strip and drilled for the two columns. The striker block is .100″ x .060″. It is a foot long. The miter box comes in handy to make identical pieces such as the posts on the striker.
I started the process of bending and fitting the many grab irons on the car. You may notice that I am using a finer wire (.0125″) instead of my normal .015″. I made a small spacer strip .050″ thick to allow me to position each grab iron uniformly.
More details are next including the ice hatches and running boards.