The Irish Track Layer has established a new blog on his product line and some of his own modeling. Take a look at John Houlihan’s blog
Here are a few enhancements that you can make to the new Glacier Park Models kit. While the kit is very well detailed, there is a limit to how much a kit can provide before it ends up being too expensive. My enhancements are simple and inexpensive to implement.
The first upgrade adds roping staples to the four corners. I used .020″ brass wire to represent the prototype parts. The kit has a pair of starter hole at each of the four location. Drill out the holes and insert the wire. You can see the loop above the inboard wheel.
The next item to add is the bleeder valve linkage. I used .012″ phos bronze wire to run from the valve on the control valve and the car sides. I fabricated small brackets out of .010″ x .040″ brass strips.
The last enhancement added was the uncoupling bracket. I used a Protocraft PC-1205a to form the bracket along with a strip of .010″ brass strip. The casting was soldered to the bracket. I trimmed the end of the casting to shorten it. The bracket with attached to the end sill with a small pin and CA.
I have added a frame to the striker. It was made from two pieces of .080″ Evergreen channel approximately .188″ long. The channels are connected by a piece of .040″ strip. This frame was attached to a plate that fits on top of the draft gear cover plate.
I made an adjustment to the paint by spraying on a another coat lightened with gray primer. It will be easier to weather this color down than the previous version.
Last but not least is a set of weights that Glacier Park Models is now offering for $9.95 plus postage. They are cut from sheet lead and three segments fit into each portion of the frame. It adds about 4 ounces to the car. Contact Glacier Park Models for more information.