In my first posting on this build, I showed a completed bolster/saddle pattern that I was hoping to have cast in urethane. To my surprise a friend in SoCal did a 3D design of the bolster and printed four parts on a Form 2 SLA printer. This is a state-of-art printer that is less than an arm and leg. I can’t tell you how happy I am to get these parts made.
The photo above is what the raw part looks like after printing and washing. You do have some minor cleanup to do before you can use the resin casting.
Here is the printed part cleaned up and primed. I test fitted it to the centersill. Notice the rivet heads on the casting. I didn’t put these on my pattern. Nice touch. The details can been seen in the following photos sent to my by Frank Hodina, Resin Car Works.
The photo shown above was also courtesy of Frank Hodina.
I started work on the underframe trying to prepare it for the installation of the bolsters. The running boards are supported by an extension of the bolster, the centersill and four inch channels that run under the centersill and up to the position of the running board.
The milled channel used for the running board support came from a hobby shop near Kings Cross Station in London. I have noticed that Albion Alloys makes a similar channel. I added the Protocraft bolster insert. This part was retaped for 2.0mm screw. I will be adding Protocraft couplers and a striker plate for the draft gear.
I want to thank Warren and Frank for their valuable assistance on this project.