MODELING: NP Automobile Car Kit 3.0

It is time to catch up on my Chooch Ultra Scale II build.   In this posting, I will cover the start of detailing on the body.  The first step is to bend up a bunch of grab irons from .015″ brass wire.

I use a square-bill pliers to bend up the wire.  Each grab iron is measured insitu to make sure there isn’t a variation in the body and drill marks.  The purple board is a .050″ which spaces the grab iron from the body.

Well this is what you end up with after some wire bending.  I applied a light dusting of Tamiya fine primer.  It provides the witness coat to find any flaws.  Yeah, there are a few mistakes to fix.

 

The kit came with plastic stiles for the end ladders.  I had some custome etched brass stiles I went with these parts.  An assembly fixture would be needed to solder them up.  I used basswood to build the fixture.

I tried some solder paste to build the ladder.

The ladder needs to be cleaned up of the excess solder.

The ladder stiles have mounting tabs so it can be mounting using pins or wire.

 

The Camel end door has the hinges attached and opening mechanism partially installed.  The plastic parts were made too short so they have been spliced to extend the height.  The door panels where made using  a vacuum-forming process.  It wasn’t an exact  fit for the space of the ribs.  Consequently, the ladder mounting tabs don’t line up with the new etched ladders.  Oh well.

Next time , we should be able to finish the detailing and apply the base coat of paint.  Protocraft has a new set of decals coming for this car so I will likely hold out for their arrival from Microscale.

Gene

 

 

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “MODELING: NP Automobile Car Kit 3.0

  1. Gene, I really like the ladders you built up from brass. Is the nut casting you placed above each grab iron commercially available?

  2. I’ve done Brass detail construction on my Clauser IUT for the safety bars on the one side used by the prototype and found it a very effective modeling choice. But it is obvious a brass part, as was the prototype. Bill included a template in his instructions. I never considered building a ladder to replace the cast ladder, but you make a compelling argument. The look of the ladder upgrades and enhances the level of detail and accuracy. Nice!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.