MODELING: Mid-Century Composite Wood-Sheathed Boxcar 2.0

Picking up where we left off on the construction of the Northern Pacific wood sheathed boxcar, the side posts, ends, doors and sheathing are next.

I stopped by my one and only local hobby shop called RC Country.  They have basic supplies like styrene, wire, paint and CA.   I saw this very inexpensive brush by Tamiya.  It looked like something to try for the application of MEK during a model build.   It reminds me of the brushes used in Japan to do Kanji.

It works much better than the typical small paint brushes I have been using.  It delivers a decent amount of solvent without flooding the area.

SIDEPOSTS

The steel framing was partially exposed on this composite car.  Approximately 3″ is showing below the wood siding.  The “Z” posts are made from .010″x .060″ strip styrene and .020″ x .060″ strip used as the vertical part of the “Z”.  Once the posts are installed I added Tichy .025″ rivets per the photos and drawings.

Before installing the posts, I marked the location on the base side sheet.  As you can see, approximately 6″ of framing is installed.  Half of this will be covered with the side sheeting.  The lines help with the alignment of the short pieces of stryene.

ENDS AND DOORS

I salvaged a pair of ends from an old Intermountain boxcar body.  The body was an early test shot prior to adding holes for ladders and grab irons.  Carl Jackson was kind enough to mill the backside to ensure a flat surface.

The casting was narrowed slightly by sanding the sides carefully to obtain the proper width.  In addition, I added .020″ Tichy rivets to the part simulating the prototype patterns.

The ends are then bonded to the car body.  There is a .0125″ wide riveted strip added to the side of the ends. A .010″ x .060″ strip is added to the backside of this strip to build up the thickness to match the side sheathing.  This riveted strip is flush with the sheathing on the prototype..

The Evergreen siding is test fitted to the body.

The door on the left is a modified Intermountain part.  I spliced two door together to get the 6/7/6 rib pattern.   The Intermountain part is incorrect with the 6/6/6 pattern.  They compromised the design to simplify the body tooling (my guess).

The next installment will deal with siding and underbody details.

Thanks for taking a look.

Gene

2 thoughts on “MODELING: Mid-Century Composite Wood-Sheathed Boxcar 2.0

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.